Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Top One Hit Wonders of the 90's Part 4 (1993)

Well here it is the next installment of my 90's one hit wonders. The year is 1993. Some random interesting events from this year include the debut of the longest running episodic TV series, on January 11th Monday Night Raw debuted and will be celebrating its 1000th episode; the Clinton era began; the Buffalo Bills become the laughing stock of the NFL by being the first team to loose three Super Bowls in a row; the whole Waco incident happened; I got stuck delivering newspapers during the Blizzard of '93; Lorena Bobbitt causes all men to shudder after she chops of the wang of her husband and then took a drive and threw it out the car window; and the ever classic video game Doom is released.

 Some notable people that were born in 1993 were Scotty McCreery, Taylor Momsen,  AnnaSophia Robb, and Elián González. Notable deaths include Dizzy Gillespie, Audrey Hepburn, André the Giant, Brandon Lee, and Herman Munster.

Who am I kidding you didn't come here to read about 1993 you came to hear some good music. Before I start let me just say that while 92 was hard because of a lack of good songs, well 93 was the exact opposite. For 93 I had to choose from 16 songs to get my top ten and I still couldn't limit it to 10 there is a tie for the 10th video. Now for you to see my list.

10.  "More and More" by Captain Hollywood Project


This is  a song that epitomizes some of the most iconic music of the 90's  and probably helped  the emergence of Techno.

10.   " Show Me Love" by Robin S



 This song was so close in style to the other number 10 song that I figured I would just include it.

9.   "What Is Love" by Haddaway



Yet another iconic 90's song. I really love this song. I especially like the  woman singing the woahs. Although after watching the video for it a little I have a different question, What does love have to do with a man being stalked by hot vampire women in a creepy mansion? Oh and who can forget the Night at the Roxbury well this is that song. In fact I'll bet that right now you are doing the head bob.

8.   "Whoomp! (There It Is)"  by Tag Team



Now this song brings me back. I remember my freshman year this song was so popular that they did it at spirit assemblies. The funniest thing is that this song sorta inspired me to even do this list. I was reading someone else's list of worst songs and this was on it. I have no idea what the writer was thinking but I like this song, plus it's catchy as hell.

7.   "A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme)"  by    Regina Belle



Technically this is done by Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle, but this was the only song they did together and she  only had this song as a Billboard Top 40. Besides it's so beautiful and Aladdin is one of my favorite Disney movies so it got a pass.

6.  "Slam" by Onyx



I loved this song. This was a great rap song, back when rap was good and not the crap they try to pass today, with a great hook. It sucks that they only had one hit song, although I gotta admit that I loved Sticky Fingas as Blade. Another cool thing is they did a remix with with metal band Biohazzard.

5.  "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers  



This song was on one of my radio mix tapes that I would listen to on my Walkman knockoff while delivering newspapers. This is such a cool song and was from a movie staring some guy named Johnnie Depp. It was so catchy that

4.  "What's Up?" by 4 Non Blondes



This was such a good song and I would be sad that they broke up, but the lead singer became a songwriter for many great songs including Beautiful by Christina Aguilera so I guess it just proves my theory that everything happens for a reason.

3.   "Three Little Pigs" by Green Jelly



This song is so cool. I think my favorite part is the pigs saying not by the hair of my chinny chin chin. An interesting fact, Green Jelly was originally Green Jello but they had to change it due to a lawsuit filled by Jell-O.

2. "Insane in the Brain" by Cypress Hill



I remember this was one of the first cassette tapes I bought, however I had no idea about the whole edited/ non edited version so I unknowingly bought the edited version. This was a great song and honestly I'm surprised that they are on this list but I guess that whole pop chart is the key.

Finally the number one song of 93.

This video became very famous for the dancing talent of a young Heather DeLoach, who is now 29 years old and is quite the hottie now. The lead singer of this band died of a coke OD.

1. "No Rain" by Blind Melon



That's right the #1 song of 93 is No Rain. It's sad that Shannon Hoon died they could have been a great band, but unfortunately there's not much you can do after your lead singer dies so they broke up. 

Well I look forward to giving all of you my take on 94 soon, but until then let me know what you think in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment