Friday, August 3, 2012

Top One Hit wonders of the 90's Part 5 (1994)

It's been a while but I've been kinda busy. I plan on trying to get this whole list together so that it will update weekly, just as soon as I find the time. Anyhow as customary here is a little year in review before the music to jog your memory about the year.

This is the year that Nancy Kerrigan was attacked by a guy that was hired by Tonya Harding's Ex-Husband and her bodyguard. Al Gore attended the Superhighway Summit which helped to make the Internet what it is today. Kurt Cobain is found dead in his home from a gunshot to the head, many people say that he killed himself but we all know it was his wife Courtney Love. The end of Apartheid in South Africa becomes official with the first multiracial vote and Nelson Mandela becomes the first black president in South Africa. OJ is accused of killing his ex-wife and later found innocent in what was, up until recently, called the trial of the century. Microsoft stops using MS-DOS.  Some kid by the name of Michael Fay got his ass smack with a Singapore cane 4 times because he thought it would be cute to take some Singapore road signs. We celebrated the 25th anniversary of Woodstock. Now in the spirt of one of the greatest Music festival of all time let's get on with the list.


10.   "U.N.I.T.Y." by Queen Latifah



I found this one kinda interesting. I knew she was a rapper before hitting it big with acting, but I thought she had more than one hit. Although this seems to be the only one that I can remember.

9.   “Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)” by US3



I think my favorite part of this song is the trumpet. I'm not sure there is much else to this song other than the random "Funky, Funky".

8.   "Mr. Vain" by  Culture Beat



This is another song that is classic 90's with the Dance type music. It's a very good song and should be considered a classic.

7.   “Here Comes the Hotstepper” by Ini Kamoze



This is such a cool song. You can't help but sing along with it. I just wonder what a Leprechaun Councilor does. This is another one of those songs with misheard lyrics. In reality he says I'm a lyrical gangster but it sounds like Leprechaun Councilor, and apparently they are not saying turn it up, instead they are saying murderer. Just gotta love the Jamaican accent it just begs to be lent to misheard lyrics.

6.  “Wild Night” by John Mellencamp and Meshell Ndegocello



Ok now I know that John Mellencamp is not a one hit wonder, but this makes the list for two reasons. This song is a collaboration between Cougar and    Meshell Ndegocello and it is the only song they did together. Secondly Meshell Ndegocello is a one hit wonder with this song and in some places it is listed as her song. Now that I've calmed you down some I'll get into the song itself.  I have always loved this song it is very upbeat and catchy and you just can't help but sing along to it. Not to mention that good bass beat that is part of the intro.

5.   “Baby I Love Your Way” by Big Mountain



Now this is an interesting song. First of all this song is a cover song of a Peter Frampton tune, and add to that that it is from a movie soundtrack. Although it's not just any movie it is the first movie directed by Ben Stiller, Reality Bites.

4.  “Far Behind” by Candlebox



This is one of my favorites on this list. I remember this CD was one of my first CDs when I could afford to do the whole BMG music thing where you got 10 CDs for the price of one. I remember cruising around Austintown, OH with the cassette tape of this CD that I recorded from my home stereo because I was too poor to have a CD player in my car. AH the good ol'days.

3.  “Come Out and Play” by Offspring



I'll admit that when I saw this song on the list I was shocked and thought it was wrong but I guess all of their other hits were big on the Rock charts but not so big on the pop charts. Whenever I hear this song I can't help but be so amazed at how naive I was  back then. I had no idea the song was about gangs and guns in school until I was older and listened to the lyrics a little more closely.

2.  “Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm” by Crash Test Dummies



When I saw this song I just had to put it on my list. Personally I like this song but I know a few people who can't stand it. I love a song that you can just hum to and everyone knows just what song you are humming. Another reason I like this song is the utter weirdness of it. Plus you gotta love a song that Weird Al parodied



Speaking of weird but cool songs this next song is so random that I just had to make it the number one song of 1994.



1.   “Loser” by Beck



Another artist that's hard to believe is a one hit wonder but I guess his other songs just weren't that high on the Top 100 chart. This song is so random it's funny. It talks about shaving your face with some mace in the dark. I swear that he just took a Mad Libs and made it into a song. Granted it's a good song, but it's completely random.

Well that concludes 1994 I look forward to the year 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment