Friday, June 29, 2012

Top One Hit Wonders of the 90's Part 2 (1991)

Well it's time for part 2 of my one hit wonders of the 90's. When it came to the year 1991 I had a very difficult time finding songs that I liked. In fact I was lucky to find ten of them for my top ten list. Well might as well get going with the list, but first let me repeat my little disclaimer so that I don't hear the complaints about some of these being called one hit wonders.

I know that some of you may argue that some of these artists are not one hit wonders. So the list contains recording artists who reached the Top 40 of the U.S. pop chart (the Billboard Hot 100) with just one single. This means that there may be some artists on these lists may have had released other songs in their genre, however they did not reach the top 40 on the Billboard 100 chart which is the standard measure for musical hits.

Now the list:


10. "I'll Never Let You Go (Angel Eyes)" by Steelheart "




This one just barely did it for me. The only reason it made the list was because I felt I needed something to represent the typical power ballad type rock song.


9. “You Can't Play with My Yo-Yo" by Yo-Yo featuring Ice Cube



I'll be honest the only reason she made the list was because her song is a collaboration with one of the kings of old school rap, Ice Cube. This song wasn't all that great in my opinion but at least it was better than Steelheart.

8. “Lily Was Here" by David A. Stewart introducing Candy Dulfer



Now here is an interesting one hit wonder. In fact I'll bet you're wondering why the song sounds so familiar, that is if you played the video. Well I'll give you a hint it was used by a certain cable network every 10 minutes on the 8s. ... ... ... Give up? It was used by The Weather Channel as their background music for their local on the 8s. I'm not sure if they still do or not but that would be why it sounds familiar.

7. "Voices That Care" by Voices That Care



This is one of the many one-time super-group song like "We are the World". This one was done to support the troops that were fighting in the First Gulf War. The list of celebrities in this is kinda interesting. It had Celine Dion, Will Smith, Jani Lane from Warrant, Michael Bolton, Peter Cetera,Garth Brooks, Little Richard, Tiffany, Iron Mike Tyson, Tommy Lee Jones, Don King, Jordan, Gretzky, William Shatner, Henry Winkler, and a ton of other celebrities.

6. “Pop Goes the Weasel" by 3rd Bass



This was a fun one. First off it seems as if they are making fun of the, at the time, current rap scene especially with the fake Vanilla Ice. Speaking of him I'm sure many of you are wondering where Vanilla Ice is on these lists. Well, believe it or not he is not he is NOT a one hit wonder. Anyhow the other reason I like this si because they sampled one of my favorite 80's songs, "Sledgehammer" by Peter Gabriel.


5. "I Touch Myself" by Divinyls



Honestly when I saw this was on the list I just couldn't help it, the little teenager in me just had to put it on the list for the snicker factor. In fact I think I'm channeling Beavis and Butthead just sitting here laughing about this song. "Uhh haha. Woah! Did she just say I touch myself?"
"Yeah! Yeah! She's horny!"

4. "Get Here" by Oleta Adams



I find this song to be so beautiful. I never knew who sang it before, and now I'm glad I do. I think this song pretty much speaks for itself.

3. “Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak



Another great song. This one surprised me that it was on the one hit wonder list. He has such a great voice and the music of the song itself it just so enchanting. The thing that gets me is the fact that he seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth, but as it turns out he has another song that's been used quite a bit, or at least part of it. "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing" has been used all over the place from TV shows to movies, including Eyes Wide Shut.

2. "Walking in Memphis" by Marc Cohn



I have to say that this list started off kinda crappy for me, but the last few songs are songs I just love. This song is no different. Marc Cohn has such a great voice and knows how to write too. This song is such a great example and it's no wonder that he won the Grammy for Best New Artist for this song.

Now for the number one one hit wonder song of 1991. I know for a fact that a certain someone will argue that they are not one hit wonders because they have put out many songs, plus the album this song was from tells such a great story, but under the rules established for a one hit wonder they do qualify.

Drumroll please




1. "Silent Lucidity" by Queensrÿche



This song is just so great. Hands down. I have always loved this song. This is another song that just kinda speaks for itself.


Well after looking ahead the lists just get better from here. You can look forward to Right said Fred, Sir Mix a-Lot, Green Jelly, The Proclaimers, Crash Test Dummies, 20 Fingers featuring Gillette, Rednex, Los Del Rio, Cake, Chumbawamba, The Brian Setzer Orchestra, Lou Bega, Freak Nasty, and many many more in the coming lists. So until then enjoy this one and seriously please do comment. I like to have a little feedback as to whether or not people agree with my lists or not, or for that matter if anyone is even reading this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment