Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Top One Hit Wonders of the 90's Part 1

Last week on Facebook I announced that I would do a top ten list of the top one hit wonders of the 1990's. After some consideration I decided to sort of drag it out some and first do a top ten list for each year of the 90's from 1990 til 1999 after which I will do a list for the entire decade.

Before I start the list I feel I should put up a disclaimer. I know that some of you may argue that some of these artists are not one hit wonders. So the list contains recording artists who reached the Top 40 of the U.S. pop chart (the Billboard Hot 100) with just one single. This means that there may be some artists on these lists may have had released other songs in their genre, however they did not reach the top 40 on the Billboard 100 chart which is the standard measure for musical hits.

With that out of the way it's time to start the list.



At number 10 we have “Wiggle It" by 2 in a Room



I sort of remember this song but not much, however I think it's a pretty good song.

#9 "Girls Nite Out" by Tyler Collins



At first when I read the title of this song I didn't recognize it, however after listening to it I remembered it. This was a pretty good song.

#8 "Always and Forever" by Whistle



I've always loved the R&B ballads like this one. It almost reminds me of some Boyz 2 Men songs.

#7 "Don't Wanna Fall in Love" by Jane Child



This is another one that I didn't instantly recognize by the name, but after listening to it I remember it. This song is quite catchy I'm sort of surprised that she was a one hit wonder, then again one look at her hair and I think I know why. I swear it's like she could decide so she went with a combo of mohawk and dreadlocks, dreadlocks that are so long that she could almost step on them.

#6 "I Wanna Be Rich" by Calloway



I love this song!! Honestly I had no idea that this was a 90's one hit wonder. I love the chorus of this song mainly because I agree with it. I want money lots and lots of money. I think I noticed something else in this video that was a staple of the 90's that I never noticed before and that is a woman in a tight black mini dress. It seems every-time I turn around I see it. I'm not complaining about it just an observation.

#5 "Do the Bartman" by Bart Simpson



Yes that's right Bart Simpson actually had a hit song. It's hard to believe they've been around that long. This came from their first album "The Simpsons Sing the Blues" which I actually owned the cassette of. When I saw this song was on the list to choose from I just had to put it on my list.

#4 "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinéad O'Connor



What 's so cool is the fact that this song is actually a cover song. Prince wrote the original song and released it for his side band The Family five years earlier in 1985. I still remember when everyone made a big deal out of her burning a picture of the pope on SNL, unfortunately I think that is what ruined her career and the ironic thing is that now she is an ordained Irish Orthodox Catholic priest, or would that be priestess. The song itself was a pretty good one and I quite enjoy it.

#3 "Tom's Diner" by DNA featuring Suzanne Vega



For years I thought that the artist of this song was just Suzanne Vega but as it turns out it was some group called DNA and they just featured her. This song is just so catchy that I bet that later on after listening to this song it will get stuck in your head.

#2 "Groove Is in the Heart" by Deee-Lite



I just loved Lady Miss Kier especially when she danced around in that skin tight jumpsuit. A fun fact I just learned about her is that she was born in Youngstown, OH which is coincidentally my hometown. This video is just so 90's although I've gotta say how many songs do you know of that have a slide whistle in them?

And now the #1 one hit wonder of 1990. This song is one that I was highly surprised to find on the list, which is why I had to include it.

Drum roll...

...

#1 "Epic" by Faith No More



Sorry for not posting the original video with this but they disabled embedding on it. This song is so great I was first surprised by the fact that it was a one hit wonder song and secondly that it came out in 1990. I'm not sure when I thought it came out but ether way, it's on the list and is my top pick for one hit wonders of the year 1990. I think one of my favorite parts of it is the voice yelling back "What is it?" that and the ending piano part.

This is my first list and soon I will post list number 2, the year 1991. Until then please feel free to leave me comments on what you think of my list. Would you have listed the songs differently? added some of the other songs? Please let me know. I love to hear feedback.

1 comment: