Thursday, June 3, 2010

A McDonald's Ad and the comments it got

It all started as I was looking around on the web and went to the Yahoo main page. On the Yahoo main page was a news story about some French McDonald's ad that had just gone viral. So since, like most of America, I've worked at McDonald's and have eaten there a few times I decided to check it out.

Well the ad shows a young boy sitting in the booth waiting for his dad to get back and looking at his class picture. He then get a phone call and tells the person on the other line that he misses them and he is looking at their class picture and he loves them and whatnot and as his dad gets back to the table he hangs up the phone. His dad goes on and talks about how in his school days he was quite the ladies man and goes on to say that it's too bad everyone in his son's class is a boy cause he'd make quite the ladies man himself.



My impression of the video was that was a cool ad although it sorta sucks that he had to hide it from his dad but oh well. Well after that I started to read the comments section to see what other people thought, and boy did it piss me off. It seemed like every other post people were bashing and the saddest part is those comments were all getting positive reviews while many of the pro-homosexual comment had very negative reviews some were even in the hundreds negative like -127 or -135. This makes me sick!! Why is it that in the year 2010 we still have people that are so immature and ignorant that they can't except homosexuality? We have plenty of homosexual celebrities that people seem to be ok with, like Neil Patrick Harris, Ellen, and Jane Lynche, heck there is even a homosexual character on one of my favorite shows, Glee, but have a McDonald's ad with a homosexual teen in it and you've got people threatening to boy cot McDonald's and saying that "they will all go to hell"

That brings me to another subject, and that is religion. So many of the comments were from the worst kind of person I've seen, Bible Thumpers. Now don't get me wrong I know some people that follow Catholicism are ok and are not like those idiots, but it really makes me glad I'm pagan. We generally don't care what people do or who they do for that matter. In fact one of the most central things they try to drill in your head is a derivative of one of the basic laws of paganism, granted depending on your path the wording is different but the meaning is the same, and that is "The Golden Rule" (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you). One popular way of saying it is "An it harm none, do as ye will!" another way of saying it is "Do as thy wilt as to the upholds of the law (or something like that the only people I could think of that would know it by heart didn't respond to me. I mean come on who is sleeping at 12:30 AM lol) anyway you say it the meaning is the same As long as you don't hurt anyone then do what you want. This means that many of us accept people no matter what even if you claim to be an alien from another planet, granted we may think you are a little out there but as long as you aren't hurting anyone then more power to ya.

In closing let me just say this while I'm not homosexual I don't care one way or another if you are just as long as you are happy with whomever your partner is then I'm fine with it. NO ONE should judge ANYONE. I know that many of us are guilty of judging people but how do you know if that "scuzzy person" or "that dude that says he is actually from the planet Qwerty" or the "gay guy that looks like a hippie" isn't a nice person if you don't stop judging people. Who knows maybe just maybe they could turn out to be your good friend Kathy or Brent or Kyle and not something bad but if you judged them and avoided them based on your judgments then you'd never know. So I guess the best way to some it up would be to quote a movie quote that thanks to a friend I remembered again, and that quote comes from the 1989 movie "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" the quote is simply this "Be Excellent to Each Other"

No comments:

Post a Comment